I Can't Get No Sleep

After a night of very little sleep due to a coughing, sickly child there's only one thing to do. Write a poem

Sleep
Pull back the covers of your cosy warm bed
Snuggle right down as you lay down your head
Slip off to dream land, closing your eyes
Relax… unwind… Til a voice starts to cry
“MUMMY! MUMMY!” the voice starts to scream
“MUMMY I NEED YOU! I'VE HAD A BAD DREAM!”
Sleepily, dozily, you stumble in
To try and appease the cause of the din
“it's OK my love, go to sleep, don't be scared
Your mummy loves you - I'll always be there”
The child’s sleeping soundly, you start counting sheep
In a desperate attempt to head back to sleep
Until “MUMMY I'M THIRSTY I NEED A DRINK”
You dive out of bed as quick as a wink
A glass of water on hand to quench the thirst
You offer it up but they fall asleep first
Back to your bed you wearily wander
And pull back the cover and quickly dive under
Until “MUMMY MUMMY I'M FEELING SICK!”
You spring from your bed to get there so quick.
You race to the toilet, your child is unwell
You hug them so tightly in spite of the smell!
"Come on my love, get in with me.
You're clearly not well." It's quarter to three
On the edge of your bed with a leg in your back
You embrace your night as an insomniac
Watching your infant as they softly snore
Hoping in the morning they're better once more.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Struggle Continues

It's been too long so here's a poem

Ooh A Podcast Appearance!