When Girls Do Football Poems

I am not a football fan but I can't help but be swept up by this World Cup hysteria. My limited understanding of the whole thing is that the footballer who once missed a crucial penalty in a world cup has been responsible for making England better at football than they've been in a long while.

Here's roughly what I expect Gareth Southgate has said to achieve this miraculous feat:

Football
Kick the ball
In the goal
Not in the air
Or down a hole
Not up a tree
Or at a cat
But in the goal
Just like that
Kick it hard
Them some more
Between the posts
Then you score
Kick that ball
Kick it best
Be better
Than all the rest

I'm not sure if England will bring football back home, I hope they do, but if not I hope people appreciate how far they've already dragged it - considering last year our time looked like a lame dog limping out for one last walk. We have national hope again and I like the feeling of unified joy, however long it lasts. Thanks for that Mr Southgate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Struggle Continues

It's been too long so here's a poem

Ooh A Podcast Appearance!