Off The Grid

For me one of best things about being on holiday is being unable to access the Internet. I've found scrolling on Facebook and pointless Google searches seem to waste most of my time. As a result whenever I'm away I'm completely disconnected from the Internet and more connected to the actual world.

While I have a Smartphone I'm on pay as you go so once my data is gone that's it. I turn it off and save my credit for texts and calls - when I'm out of the house I am offline. It's a little scary to look round and see others obsessed with their phones, even in beautiful places where they should be looking round at the wonder of the world. I feel bad for all the time I spend looking at a screen instead of actual real life things.

I also notice it in soft play places with my kids. I'm the one not checking their phone but instead interacting with my kids, not, I must add, because I'm a preachy better than everyone parent but because I'm too skint to top up!!. At home the temptation is too much to just have a look and see what important (pointless) things I'm missing. Just one more check of facebook... just in case. It's like a time-wasting mind-numbing drug. I loathe and love the Internet in equal measure.

But when I'm out and about away from the wireless router I see things, like jellyfish stranded on the beach, bats whizzing past my head, satellites darting across the night sky. I have proper conversations with my children about things that matter and things that don't. 

We fly kites.


We watch the sunset


I love the holidays.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Struggle Continues

It's been too long so here's a poem

Ooh A Podcast Appearance!